The HandY Forum

An independant Forum for Hayes & Yeading Utd & all things Football.
It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FA Cup Prize money
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

Now they have confirmed H&Y game as a Red button tie that takes our total income from the last two FA Cup runs to £152,000.

We still have no bar or running water to show for it? Now we have the extra funds on top of last season, will the club be expediting the main facility any non-league club should have at any ground? As well as further improving the stadium?

Post subject: Re: FA Cup Prize money
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

:goodpost Corey...

:footy1 :con2 :con1

'Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance & conscientious stupidity'...

Dr. M. L. King.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:59 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

Idol, have a word with Tony and ask what the running costs are for our Club for the Year.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:26 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

It was not a dig at all, It may have seemed it but it was just a general question.

Will we now start to build a more professional looking drinking facility inside the ground? I know the bar is closed at the moment due to Covid-19, but minus having to fund Carlisle’s travelling expenses, we have a good kitty at the moment and the bar is an investment which would long term be made back.

We are doing very very well on the field and now we just need to match the quality on it off the field too.

There have been sides in previous years who’ve kicked on massively due to the cup money they’ve received, Oxford City who have made FAC R1 4 years in a row, with a second TV tie in the process as well Stourbridge who have made it 6/10 years with a few round two and one round 3 appearance and would have improved where needed to help them keep afloat for years to come.

If we were to cause a cup set to... it’s an extra £19000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:33 pm 
Youth Team

I thought you was part of the inner circle Martin with ear to the ground?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:02 am 
Reserve Team

I wouldn't mind betting a lot of the cup run money from last season (and indeed this season) will have already been earmarked for the running of the club, as per Ex-Spain's post.

At this level (and non-league in general) clubs rarely break-even. Gate receipts and sponsorship etc are very rarely enough to cover the costs of fielding a team / squad + staff and also running a stadium. Indeed, gate receipts are even liable to have VAT paid on them too which further decreases real income. This means clubs are constantly trying to balance books week-to-week.

The subsequent losses are then often underwritten by generous Directors, loans or an overdraft etc. One assumes a lot of the cup money would be used for repaying those kinds of things, although I don't claim to be a font of knowledge as regarding the intimate runnings of H&Y by any means.

Would be great if the facilities could be upgraded but it's always a difficult ask for clubs at this level.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:23 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

ex spain wrote:
Idol, have a word with Tony and ask what the running costs are for our Club for the Year.....

Exspain why are you giving it the "billy big bollox "
Idol has been articulate in his post and asked a sensible question.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:43 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

So no football club can progress off the field due to a never ending cycle of bills? If TV money from the FA Cup is of no use to get toilets in the clubhouse, then what is the point in, say, sponsoring a player to 'help the club out?'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

Good post rushers. Sponsoring a player is lovely but a complete waste of time. Your better off paying the petrol money for the coach on an away trip. This benifits the whole team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

Idol does appear to have been bitch slapped for having the (perceived) temerity of asking the straight forward question that is on most supporters/fans lips.

It is acknowledged that the running costs of a club are high and will not be met by gate receipts, player sponsorship money and fund raising. That is why it is important to have as many revenue streams as possible.

One income source that virtually every other non-league club has is their bar. Providing it is done properly, money will be generated via bar sales, meal purchases and the possible hire of the venue (in our case I believe we should be realistic and accept that this will be for birthday celebrations rather than lavish Indian wedding receptions (did anyone get back to Jamilla?)).

Currently, a number of Hayes supporters imbibe in pre and post match refreshments at the Botwell Inn. I am sure that if the club had a facility serving drinks and food, these fans would be happy to partake in their before and after game activities there.

The club gets gates of around 200. Not all of these attendees would use the bar but if the average spend was £25 per person (about 2 rounds of drinks and a meal) then the monies generated would be £5k

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:42 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

On a positive note though. The new official website is looking fantastic. The money donated by the unofficial supporters club has obviously made a massive impact

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:04 pm 
First Team

unit wrote:
ex spain wrote:

Idol has asked a fair question and perhaps I can help a little to shed some light.

The running costs of the club last year were just under £400,000, with gate receipts covering approx 10% of that. One high source of income was from the film studios by the club, who as you probably know filmed a TV series at the ground. Income from the studios has collapsed due to the pandemic.

The coronavirus has affected Tony's business far more than Dev's. The international exhibitions business has collapsed, for which I have seen various articles in the press. Tony has had to lay off staff (with more to come as furlough ends) and has had many contracts cancelled. I have been told by reliable sources, that TOD covers the players wages. Whilst I have heard nothing to suggest that TOD's contribution will change, I do worry if he might be able to do so in the future if Island Exhibitions folds or has to reduce its operations.

When at a pre season friendly, I did speak to someone who had been asked by TOD about the cost of fitting air conditioning in a bar at the club. Perhaps the sorting of the bar has not been forgotten after all. I can understand why (with the current uncertainties about the coronavirus and where restrictions will go/how long they will last) the club is not rushing to do the fitting out. I've seen the plans and gather it would not take too many months to get a team in and fit out a new bar. Personally, I have not given up hope of the project going ahead this season. I think the club is holding back on certain spending, until the current operating climate for the game is more certain and settled. However, I suggest that it would be fair to say that TOD has other bigger ticket issues to worry about at the moment. I wish his business good fortune at this difficult time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:32 pm 
Delroy (Legend)

It's regrettable that recent events have affected Tony's business so adversely and it can only be hoped that things will improve for him.

It is a shame that there isn't someone among us who is a retired businessman, who's sold his business for a few million and is willing to pump money into the club including the completion of the stadium.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:50 pm 
Youth Team

the_president wrote:
unit wrote:
ex spain wrote:

Idol has asked a fair question and perhaps I can help a little to shed some light.

The running costs of the club last year were just under £400,000, with gate receipts covering approx 10% of that. One high source of income was from the film studios by the club, who as you probably know filmed a TV series at the ground. Income from the studios has collapsed due to the pandemic.

The coronavirus has affected Tony's business far more than Dev's. The international exhibitions business has collapsed, for which I have seen various articles in the press. Tony has had to lay off staff (with more to come as furlough ends) and has had many contracts cancelled. I have been told by reliable sources, that TOD covers the players wages. Whilst I have heard nothing to suggest that TOD's contribution will change, I do worry if he might be able to do so in the future if Island Exhibitions folds or has to reduce its operations.

When at a pre season friendly, I did speak to someone who had been asked by TOD about the cost of fitting air conditioning in a bar at the club. Perhaps the sorting of the bar has not been forgotten after all. I can understand why (with the current uncertainties about the coronavirus and where restrictions will go/how long they will last) the club is not rushing to do the fitting out. I've seen the plans and gather it would not take too many months to get a team in and fit out a new bar. Personally, I have not given up hope of the project going ahead this season. I think the club is holding back on certain spending, until the current operating climate for the game is more certain and settled. However, I suggest that it would be fair to say that TOD has other bigger ticket issues to worry about at the moment. I wish his business good fortune at this difficult time.

Seems like shoot, the clubs has been fobbing off fans for years with false promises, false hope, in improving facilitates. The website is taking so slowly, the HS2 rail line will be completed quicker. :yawn: :yawn: :banghead :eh2 :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:36 pm 
First Team

An insightful post from the_president, thanks.

Those figures are stark. I don't know the precise the costs of running a football club but having had a few guesses on the back of an envelope, the figures you quote are entirely believable. They really highlight the importance of non-gate income.

To cover the fixed costs, the bar really needs customers outside of match days. Ye olde Church Road clubhouse was well positioned for passing residential trade. The SkyEx isn't. For Yeadingites, how did the Yeading clubhouse pull in punters on non-match days?