The HandY Forum

An independant Forum for Hayes & Yeading Utd & all things Football.
It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am 
Reserve Team

A good range of questions for the Board were received both on the Hayes & Yeading Forum and the Supporters Facebook page. All these were anonymised and grouped together under common themes. Each ‘theme’ was raised with the Board in what I thought was an open and honest debate. There was no censoring of answers and the Board were more than happy for the discussion to be shared on this wider platform. Another meeting is scheduled for early July where progress on the points discussed will be revisited along with any new or follow up questions received:

Merchandise - a sore point for many of us and we’ve had more than a number of false starts over the last three or more years. But the Chairman, Tony O’Driscoll, confirmed he is currently liaising with a new supplier in Weybridge. There seems to be a genuine appetite to get things moving here, especially as, if all goes to plan, we will have a brand new club shop to stock (see new bar below). There was discussion around items to be stocked and we agreed that initially these should be core merchandise…. hats, scarves, mugs. In addition with a new kit supplier this season replica shirts should be more readily available and on display! I asked whether the merchandise would be ready for the start of the new season and Tony undertook to phone the supplier the next day to discuss lead times.

New Bar and catering - it’s clear all efforts are focused on completion of the new bar. For anyone who hasn’t seen the footprint … it’s massive. All electrical work is now complete, including fire alarm installation throughout. Plumbers are in for water connection, toilets etc. Builders due in shortly for ceiling completion, internal brickwork and externally sorting the drainage, tarmac and access to the facility. Talks are in an advanced state with a well known brewery (who have a tie with the Marlow brewery so the Rebellion beers will still feature). All good news but clearly still a lot to do. There is a real drive to open for the start of the new season but failing that the World Cup is an absolute must. The shortcomings of not running our own tea bar are acknowledged but whilst an alternative is in place this is not a high priority. 

New Stand - I highlighted the fact that the new stand arrived with a lot of positivity but now nearly eight months down the line it’s the complete opposite. The size of the stand (able to hold over 500) deems it a “designated stand” which means it is subject to all sorts of additional regulations. Boils down to requiring council sign off. Why it’s taking so long to get this over the line is not clear but I was assured the stand will be open for the start of the season. The ground will require its annual safety inspection ahead of the season start so at worst the stand visit will be rolled into that.

Tannoy - all present acknowledged the deficiencies of the current tannoy system. Although the music seems clear enough any announcements are indecipherable. Annoying for the 50/50 winning numbers but far more serious from a safety point of view. Appears the amplifier has seen better days but the issue seems to be more around the microphone. It was agreed that a pre-season friendly would be used to conduct a system test with a volunteer “crowd” spaced around the ground to test reception in all areas. This should flush out whether we have a system issue or otherwise. 

Car Park - questions had been raised around the poor quality of the surface in the car park facility behind the goal. I can’t comment as I don’t drive to games, but I was told improvements had been made last November and there are no plans for any further enhancements at this time. 

Scoreboard - are we getting one? Agreed that this would be a nice to have and enquiries have been made. But this is not something that will be pursued in the short term with so many other more pressing priorities. 

Programmes - and specifically the question had been raised about insufficient programmes being produced for the big games. Clearly a balancing act between printing too few or being left with surplus. On a normal match day I was told we usually sell around 40 but make a loss due to unsold copies. Numbers are increased for the bigger games and these were not unsurprisingly all sold for the Farnborough match but the club were left with a surplus for the Weston semi-final. But the main takeaway here was that past programmes can be reprinted on request on an individual basis. This is a service that I said should be publicised and I thought would be very well received. In addition when the club shops opens, surplus programmes from previous games will be available. 

Live-streaming - and specifically whether the club would consider doing more live streams. Answered directly by FC Video on the forum “our understanding is that the FA don’t allow live-streaming or broadcast of any Saturday 3pm kick-offs even at non-league level. They relaxed that only during the pandemic when games were played behind closed doors. In any case there is an issue that the club prefer not to give future opponents a tactical advantage, hence you never see more than 90;seconds of the game online afterwards!”

Fan Funding - the question of whether the club is receptive to player fan funding had been raised. This had been mooted over the last few seasons but nothing has ever got off the ground. A very clear response from the board that there’s a huge appetite for this and it would make a real difference and allow the club to bring in either additional players or players at a higher salary (and therefore higher quality) than the existing budget allows. There are concerns over the administration of the scheme as fans need to ideally sign up for a whole season and ensure monthly direct debits are covered. There was also a feeling that these funds should be ring-fenced for “additional” funding of players above and beyond existing budget rather than being linked to a specific named player. There are fears that a player could be unfairly targeted by the fans if they are “paying your wages”! What do you think and would you be willing to commit to such a scheme? I said I would gauge appetite amongst the fans …. So fire away!

Hopefully this is a decent start - but I have another slot at the next meeting in July so please raise any issues you want on the back of the above and any new questions on different issues most welcome.

Thanks

Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:24 pm 
First Team

Excellent.

Thanks for the updates, very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:23 pm 
Reserve Team

Evening all

The next Board meeting is due to held next week (Wednesday 6th July). I’ll be looking for an update on the issues discussed last time round especially the new bar and stand.

But if you have new issues you want raised or further clarification on the previous points just let me know.

Thank you

Ray